- a thread, used to clean the area between the teeth
- (raw) silk fibres
- the fibres covering a corn cob
- Any thread-like material having parallel strands that are not spun or wound around each other.
- Spun sugar or cotton candy, especially in the phrase "candy floss".
verb (floss, es)
- French: fil dentaire
- German: Zahnseide
- Spanish: Hilo dental (1)
- To clean the area between the teeth using floss.
- (AAVE) To show off, especially by exhibiting one"s wealth or talent.
Etymology: (wikipedia, Dental floss)Compare to modern German Fluss, "a winding section/ a flowing river." Also related to fleece and flow."floss" < French floche "tuft of wool," from floc, from Latin floccus "tuft of wool" < an unrecorded O.E. or O.N. word from the root of Dutch flos "plush" (17c.).
- 2003, Vladimir Bogdanov, All Music Guide to Hip-Hop: The Definitive Guide to Rap and Hip-Hop, Backbeat Books, page 554:
- : As the label's name no doubt implies, these rappers aren't your typical crew, even if they still like to and represent their city.
- 2003, Wang, Oliver, Classic Material: The Hip-Hop Album Guide, ECW Press, page 134:
- : "Ms. Jackson" is probably the most sensitive"and realistic"take on relationships to come out of hip-hop, while "Red Velvet" cautions would-be playas against pushing the envelope around "dirty boys" just waiting for a chance to add some gray flecks to that fur.
- 2007, Azie Faison, Agyei Tyehimba, Game Over: The Rise and Transformation of a Harlem Hustler, Simon and Schuster, page 69:
- : It's impossible to wealth without attracting envy.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for floss for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.