- (firefighting) A person who is skilled in the work of fighting fire.
- (firefighting) A fireman that is of the male sex (see usage note).
- (railroading) A man who keeps the fire going underneath a steam boiler (originally, shoveling coal by hand), particularly on a railroad locomotive.
- (railroading) By extension of the above, an assistant on any locomotive, whether steam-powered or not.
- (baseball) A relief pitcher.
Etymology: From English fire + (hu)man
- Dutch: brandweerman
- French: pompier
- German: Feuerwehrmann
- Italian: vigile del fuoco
- Spanish: bombero
(trans-top, a male fireman)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for fireman for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.