- The income of a ruler or of a state; revenue; public money; sometimes, the income of an individual; often used in the plural for funds; available money; resources.
- The science of raising and expending the public revenue.
verb (financ, ing)
- French: finance(fr)f
- German: Finanzwissenschaft(de)f
- To borrow or provide funding for a transaction or undertaking.
- His parents financed his college education.
- He financed his home purchase through a local credit union.
Etymology: From French, finance, from financius
- French: financer(fr)
- German: finanzieren(de)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for finance for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.