- (italbrac, followed by "one") The ending, the last.
- A test or examination given at the end of a term or class; the test that concludes a class.
- (sports) A playoff round consisting of only two teams left.
- A contest that narrows a field of contestants (finalists) to ranked positions, usually in numbered places (1st place/prize, 2nd place/prize, etc.) or a winner and numbered runner-up, runners-up (1st runner-up, etc.).
- Dutch: finale
- Italian: finale
- last; ultimate (e.g. final solution)
- (linguistics) word-final, occurring at the end of a word.
Etymology: finis end + -alis -al
- French, final
- German: endgí¼ltig
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for final for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.