noun (plural: fins)
- One of the appendages of a fish, used to propel itself and to manoeuvre/maneuver.
- A similar appendage of a cetacean or other marine animal.
- A thin, rigid component of an aircraft, extending from the fuselage and used to stabilise and steer the aircraft.
- A similar structure on the tail of a bomb, used to help keep it on course.
- A hairstyle, resembling the fin of a fish, in which the hair is combed and set into a vertical ridge along the top of the head from about the crown to the forehead.
- A device worn by divers and swimmers on their feet.
- An extending part on a surface of a radiator, engine, heatsink, etc., used to facilitate cooling.
- (U.S. slang) A five-dollar bill
- Dutch: zwemvlies (usually in plural form: zwemvliezen)
- French: empennage
- German: Flosse
- Italian: pinna
- Spanish: aleta
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for fin for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.