- (dated) extinguished, Extinguished, no longer alight (of fire, candles etc.)
- Poor Edward's cigarillo was already .
- (Vulcanology) No longer erupting.
- Most of the volcanos on this island are now .
- No longer used; obsolete, discontinued.
- Luckily, such ideas about race are in current sociological theory.
- No longer in existence; having died out.
- The dinosaurs have been for millions of years.
Etymology: From Latin extinctus, past participle of extinguere, corresponding to ex- + stinguere "quench".
- German: aussterben, ausgestorben
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for extinct for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.