- (properly Microsoft Excel) A spreadsheet application software written and distributed by w:Microsoft, Microsoft®.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Excel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
verb (excel, l, ed)
- (transitive) To surpass someone or something; to be better or do better than someone or something.
- I excelled everyone else with my exam results.
- (intransitive) To be much better than others.
Translations: Etymology: excellere, excelsum; ex out + a root found in culmen height, top; Compare French exceller. See also culminate, column.
- 1924: ARISTOTLE. Metaphysics. Translated by W. D. Ross. Nashotah, Wisconsin, USA: The Classical Library, 2001. Available at: <http://www.classicallibrary.org/aristotle/metaphysics/>. Book 1, Part 2.
- : If, then, there is something in what the poets say, and jealousy is natural to the divine power, it would probably occur in this case above all, and all who excelled in this knowledge would be unfortunate.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for excel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.