- Something that is representative of all such things in a group.
- Something that serves to explain or illustrate a rule.
- Something that serves as a pattern of behaviour to be imitated (a good example) or not to be imitated (a bad example).
- "Learn from me, if not by my precepts, then at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge" - Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
- A person punished as a warning to others.
- A parallel or closely similar case, especially when serving as a precedent or model.
- An instance (as a problem to be solved) serving to illustrate the rule or precept or to act as an exercise in the application of the rule.
Etymology: From essample (French: exemple), from exemplum.
- Dutch: voorbeeld(nl)
- French: exemple(fr)m
- German: Beispiel(de)n
- Italian: esempio(it)m
- Spanish: ejemplar(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for example for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.