verb (examin, ing)
- To observe or inspect carefully or critically.
- He examined the crime scene for clues.
- To study or analyse.
- She examined the hair sample under a microscope.
- To check the health or condition of something or someone.
- The doctor examined the patient.
- To determine the aptitude, skills or qualifications of someone by subjecting them to an examination.
- To interrogate.
- The witness was examined under oath.
Etymology: From examiner, from examinare.
- German: befragen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for examine for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.