noun (envies, -)
- resentful, Resentful desire of something possessed by another or others (but not limited to material possessions); as distinct from jealousy.
- 1983. ROSEN, Stanley. Plato"s Sophist. p. 66.
- : Theodorus assures Socrates that no will prevent the Stranger from responding
verb (env, i, ed)
- Dutch: afgunst , nijd, nÄ³d
- French: envie
- German: Neid
- Italian: invidia
- Spanish: envidia
- feel, Feel envy of.
Etymology: Existing since the thirteenth century: from envieFrench, envie, from invidiaLatin, invidia, from invidereLatin, invidere, "look at with malice".
- Dutch: benijden, benÄ³den, afgunstig zijn, afgunstig zÄ³n
- German: beneiden
- Italian: invidiare
- Spanish: envidiar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for envy for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.