- A person who is qualified or professionally engaged in any branch of engineering.
- A person who, given a problem and a specific set of goals and constraints, finds a technical solution to the problem that satisfies those goals within those constraints. The goals and constraints may be technical, social, or business related.
- (formerly) A person who operates an engine (such as a locomotive).
- Dutch: machinist(nl)m
- French: machiniste(fr)m
- German: Maschinist , Maschinistin
- Italian: macchinista(it)m
Translations: Etymology: engineour, from enginer, from engin.
- (transitive) To design, construct or manage something as an engineer.
- (transitive) To alter or construct something by means of genetic engineering.
- (transitive) To plan or achieve some goal by contrivance or guile; to wangle or finagle.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for engineer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.