- (US, Canada) The common wapiti (Cervus canadensis); the second largest member of the deer family, smaller only than a moose. Elk never have flat antlers (like moose do.)
- The largest member of the deer family (Alces alces); a moose.
Etymology: Middle English elk < Old English eolc < Old Norse elgr or Middle High German elch, both < Proto-Germanic < Proto-Indo-European ol-/el- (red, brown).
- Dutch: eland , Europese eland
- French: élan , élan d'Europe , orignal (Canada-Quebec)
- German: Elch , Europí¤ischer Elch
- Spanish: alce
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for elk for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.