- An image or representation of an idea; a representation of an ideal form; an apparition of some actual or imaginary entity, or of some aspect of reality.
Etymology: From Ancient Greek (polytonic, á) (eidÅlon) "figure, representation" < (polytonic, á) (eidos) "sight" < (polytonic, á) (eidÅ) "I see" .
- 1936, Henry Miller, Black Spring:
- :As a species it is extinct; as an it retains its corporeality " but only if maintained in a state of equipoise.
- 2006, Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day, Vintage 2007, p.697:
- :Kit was sitting up staring into the dark at this , inelegantly turned out contrary to a whole raft of public-decency statutes, which had come monitory and breathing in to violate Kit's insomnia.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for eidolon for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.