- An erotic dancer who removes their clothes as a form of entertainment; a stripper.
Etymology: Coined by w:H. L. Mencken, H. L. Mencken from ekdysis (on the model of enthusiast etc.).
- 1973, Kyril Bonfiglioli, Don't Point That Thing at Me, Penguin 2001, p. 79:
- :I had never seen an before; toward the end she was wearing nothing but seven beads, four of them sweat.
- 2004, Chrysti the Wordsmith, Verbivore's Feast: A Banquet of Word and Phrase Origins, Farcountry Press, p. 107:
- :However, the Queen of Ecdysiasts, Gypsy Rose Lee, was not amused. In a 1940 interview, she leveled her guns against Mencken: "Ecdysiast, he calls me! Why, the man... has been reading books! Dictionaries! We don't wear feathers and molt them off... What does he know about stripping?"
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ecdysiast for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.