- A disk or wheel with its axis off centre, giving a reciprocating motion.
- One who does not behave like others.
- (slang) a kook
- German: Exzentriker , Exzentrikerin
- Not at or in the centre.
- Not perfectly circular
- an eccentric or elliptical orbit
- Having a different center.
- Deviating from the norm; behaving unexpectedly or differently.
- "He has become really eccentric over the years."
- (physiology) (of a motion) against or in the opposite direction of contraction of a muscle. (E.g. flexion of the lower arm while flexing the tricep; opening of the jaw while flexing the masseter). (Antonym: Concentric)
Etymology: From Latin eccentricus, literally out of centre, from Greek: ekkentros, not having the same centre.
- German: exzentrisch
(trans-top, (physiology) (of a motion) against or in the opposite direction of contraction of a muscle)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for eccentric for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.