noun (es, -)
- (countable) A garment; an item of clothing (usually worn by a woman or young girl) which covers the upper part of the body as well as below the waist.
- Amy and Mary looked very pretty in their dresses'.''
- (uncountable) apparel, Apparel, clothing.
verb (dress, es)
- Dutch: jurk , gewaad (formal)
- French: robe
- German: Kleidung
- Spanish: vestido , traje
- (transitive) To clothe something; to put clothes on something.
- (intransitive) To clothe oneself; to put on clothes.
- (transitive) To prepare the surface of a material (usually stone or lumber).
- To bandage a wound.
- 1883: w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island
- : ...he was deadly pale, and the blood-stained bandage round his head told that he had recently been wounded, and still more recently dressed.
- (transitive) To prepare food for cooking, especially by seasoning it.
- Dutch: zich aankleden, zich kleden
- French: s'habiller
- German: sich anziehen
- Spanish: vestirse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dress for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.