- The title of a doctor (whether medical or academic) used before the doctor's name. Abbreviation: Dr, Dr.
- The students asked to see Jones.
- Smith carried out the medical procedure.
- French: le docteur (used for both a man and a woman)
- Italian: il Dottor, il Dottore
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Doctor for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- A physician; a member of the medicine, medical profession; one who is trained and licensed to heal the sick. The final examination and qualification may award a doctorate in which case the post-nominal letters are MD in the US.
- If you still feel unwell tomorrow, go and see your doctor.
- A person who has attained a doctorate, such as a Ph.D. or Th.D. or one of many other terminal degrees conferred by a college or university.
- A veterinarian; a member of the medicine, medical profession; one who is trained and licensed to heal the sick.
- (rfv-sense) Someone who alters (doctors) a document or manuscript.
- Dutch: dierenarts
- French: médecin , docteur
- German: Tierarzt , Tierí¤rztin , Veteriní¤r
- Italian: veterinario , dottore (appellative)
- Spanish: médico , médica
- (transitive) To act as a (medical) doctor to.
- (transitive) To make (someone) into an (academic) doctor.
- (transitive) To alter or make obscure, as with the intention to deceive, especially a document.
- (rfv-sense) (transitive) To castrate (an animal.)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for doctor for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.