- (countable) A jump or plunge into water.
- (countable) A swim under water.
- (countable) A decline.
- (countable) (slang) A seedy bar, nightclub, etc.
- (aviation) fast, Fast descend with the nose of a craft pointed down.
verb (dives, diving, dived or dove, dived or dove)
- Spanish: buceo
- German: Tauchen
- To swim under water.
- To jump into water head-first.
- To descend sharply or steeply.
- (especially with in) To undertake with enthusiasm.
- She dove right in and started making improvements.
- (sport) To deliberately fall down after a challenge, imitating being fouled, in the hope of getting one's opponent penalised
- To cause to descend, dunk
Etymology: (rfc-level, Etymology not at level 3)From merged meanings of Old English weak verb dyfan and strong verb dufan
- Dutch: duiken, een duikvlucht maken
- German: eine Schwalbe vortí¤uschen
- Spanish: hacer un clavado
- French: plonger
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.