- (context, geography) an area that is lower in topography than its surroundings
- (context, psychology) in psychotherapy and psychiatry, a state of mind producing serious, long-term lowering of enjoyment of life or inability to visualize a happy future
- (context, psychology) in psychotherapy and psychiatry, a period of unhappiness or low morale which lasts longer than several weeks and may include ideation of self-inflicted injury or suicide
- (context, meteorology) an area of lowered air pressure that generally brings moist weather, sometimes promoting hurricanes and tornadoes
- (context, economics) a period of major economic contraction
- The Great Depression (US history)
- (context, biology, physiology) a lowering, in particular a reduction in a particular biological variable or the function of an organ, in contrast to elevation
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for depression for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.