- The act of defeating or being defeated
- French: défaite
- German: Niederlage
- Italian: sconfitta , disfatta , fallimento , insuccesso
- Spanish: derrota
- (transitive) To overcome in battle or contest
- (transitive) To destroy, ruin, undo, lay waste to
Etymology: from desfait, desfairé (to ruin) from des + facere (to unmake).
- Dutch: verslaan
- French: détruire, ruiner
- German: schlagen; zerschlagen; schleifen (structures, buildings, etc.); ruinieren (economically only)
- Italian: sconfiggere, battere
- Spanish: derrotar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for defeat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.