- The dative case.
- Dutch: datief , derde naamval , meewerkend voorwerp
- French: datif , complément d'objet indirect , C.O.I.
- German: Dativ , Wemfall , dritter Fall
- Spanish: caso dativo
- (Grammar) Noting the case of a noun which expresses the remoter or indirect object, generally indicated in English by to or for with the objective.
- (legal) In one's gift; capable of being disposed of at will and pleasure, as an office.
- (legal) Removable, as distinguished from perpetual; — said of an officer.
- (legal) Given by a magistrate, as distinguished from being cast upon a party by the law — Burril. Bouvier
Etymology: Latin dativus (appropriate to giving), from dareLatin, dare (to give). See 2nd date.
- Dutch: datief
- French: datif
- German: Dativ-, dativisch
- Spanish: dativo
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dative for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.