noun (wikipedia, tutelary)
Etymology: From Ancient Greek .
- A tutelary spirit that guides a person; a genius.
- 1891, Walter James Hoffman, The Mide'wiwin or "Grand Medicine Society" of the Ojibwa
- :The object which first appears is adopted as the personal mystery, guardian spirit, or tutelary of the entranced, and is never mentioned by him without first making a sacrifice.
- 1900, w:Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr., Oliver Wendell Holmes, Over the Teacups
- :All at once, my "that other Me over whom I button my waistcoat when I button it over my own person"put it into my head to look up the story of Madame Saqui.
- 1960, Charles I. Glicksberg, Norman Mailer: The Angry Young Novelist in America, in Wisconsin Studies in Contemporary Literature, vol. 1, no. 1
- :He will release his pent-up rage and fear no evil, for his genius is with him, and his bids him violate all the taboos of the literary marketplace.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for daimon for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.