- A crustacean of the infraorder Brachyura, having five pairs of legs, the foremost of which are in the form of claws, and a carapace.
- A bad-tempered person.
- (context, in plural crabs, informal) An infestation of pubic lice.
- (slang) A playing card with the rank of three.
verb (crabs, crabbing, crabbed)
- Dutch: krab
- French: morpions
- German: Krabbe , Krebs
- Italian: granchio
- Spanish: cangrejo , jaiba
- (intransitive) To fish for crabs.
- (intransitive) To complain.
- (intransitive) (by analogy with the movement of a crab) Of an aircraft, such as a glider, to move sideways.
- (transitive) (by analogy with the movement of a crab) To navigate (an aircraft, e.g., a glider) sideways against an air current in order to maintain a straight-line course.
- (context, obsolete) In World War 1, to fly slightly off the straight-line course towards an enemy aircraft, as the machine guns on early aircraft did not allow firing through the propeller disk.
- (rare) To back out of something.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for crab for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.