- (symptom) A sudden, usually noisy expulsion of air from the lungs, often involuntary.
- Behind me, I heard a distinct, dry .
- A condition that causes one to cough; a tendency to cough.
- Sorry, I can't come to work today " I've got a nasty .
- Dutch: hoest
- French: toux
- Italian: tosse
- Spanish: tos
(trans-top, Translations to be categorised)
- To push air from the lungs in a quick, noisy explosion.
- I breathed in a load of smoke by mistake, and started to .
- To make a noise like a cough
- The engine coughed and sputtered.
Etymology: From a Germanic imitative base (unattested in Old English, but probably present as cohhian; compare cohhetan "shout"). Cognate with Dutch kuchen "cough", German keuchen "pant".
- Dutch: hoesten, kuchen
- French: tousser
- German: husten
- Italian: tossire
- Spanish: toser
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cough for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.