verb (consum, ing)
- (transitive) To use.
- The power plant consumes 30 tons of coal per hour.
- (transitive) To eat.
- Baby birds their own weight in food each day.
- (transitive) To occupy (one"s attention or thoughts).
- Desire consumed him.
- (transitive) To destroy completely.
- The building was consumed by fire.
Etymology: From consumere.
- Dutch: (t, nl, verteren), (t, nl, consumeren)
- French: consumer
- Italian: consumare
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for consume for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.