- to cover, include, or contain
- This book comprehends all the topics that are relevant for you.
- 1776: In the second century of the Christian í†ra, the empire of Rome comprehended the fairest part of the earth, and the most civilized portion of mankind : The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire : Edward Gibbon. This edition Penguin 2000. p. 9
- to understand or grasp fully and thoroughly.
Etymology: From comprehendere, "to grasp", from the prefix com-, + prehendere, "to seize".
- German: verstehen, begreifen, erfassen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for comprehend for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.