- The exchange or buying and selling of commodities; esp. the exchange of merchandise, on a large scale, between different places or communities; extended trade or traffic.
- Social intercourse; the dealings of one person or class in society with another; familiarity.
- "Fifteen years of thought, observation, and with the world had made him Bunyan wiser." -Macaulay.
- Sexual intercourse.
- A round game at cards, in which the cards are subject to exchange, barter, or trade.
verb (commerc, ing)
- French: rapports
(trans-top, term in cards)
- Spanish: comercio
- (dated) To carry on trade; to traffic. Obs.
Etymology: From French, commerce.(Webster)
- Beware you not with bankrupts. -B. Jonson.
- (dated) To hold intercourse; to commune.
- Commercing with himself. -Tennyson.
- Musicians ... taught the people in angelic harmonies to with heaven. -Prof. Wilson.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for commerce for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.