- (uncountable) The spectral composition of visible light
- Humans and birds can perceive
- (countable) A particular set of visible spectral compositions, perceived or named as a class
- Most languages have names for the colours black, white, red and green.
- (uncountable) hue, Hue as opposed to achromatic colours (black, white and greys).
- He referred to the white flag as one "drained of all ".
- (uncountable) Human skin tone, especially as an indicator of race or ethnicity.
- Colour has been a sensitive issue in many societies.
- (figuratively) interest, Interest, especially in a selective area
- a bit of local
- (tincture): Any of the standard dark tinctures used in a coat of arms, including azure, gules, sable, and vert. Contrast with metal.
- (in plural) A standard or banner.
- The loss of their Colours destroyed the regiment's morale.
- The system of colour television.
- This film is broadcast in .
- (in plural) An award for sporting achievement, particularly within a school or university.
- ''He was awarded colours for his football.
- (physics) A property of quarks, with three values called red, green, and blue, which they can exchange by passing gluons.
- (transitive) To give something colour.
Etymology: color, via Old French coulour; the US spelling, which excludes the u, was chosen to conform to the word's Latin origin, and to make all derivatives consistent (colorimeter, colorize, colorless, etc; see below). Elsewhere in the English-speaking world, the u has been retained.
- We could the walls red.
- (intransitive) To apply colours to the areas within the boundaries of a line drawing using coloured markers or crayons.
- My son loves to .
- Of a face: To become red through increased blood flow, implying due to strong emotion.
- ''Her face coloured as she realised her mistake.
- (transitive) To affect without completely changing.
- That interpretation certainly colours my perception of the book.
- (colloquial) To attribute a quality to.
- Colour me confused.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for colour for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.