verb (collates, collating, collated)
- (transitive) To examine diverse documents et cetera in order to discover similarity, similarities and differences.
- (transitive) To assemble something in a logical sequence.
- 1922, w:Virginia Woolf, Virginia Woolf, w:Jacob's Room, Jacob"s Room, Vintage Classics, paperback edition, page 101
- : Detest your own age. Build a better one. And to set that on foot read incredibly dull essays upon Marlowe to your friends. For which purpose one must editions in the British Museum.
- (transitive) To sort multiple copies of printed documents into sequences of individual page order, one sequence for each copy, especially before binding.
- (transitive) To admit a cleric to a benefice.
- From collatum, past participle of conferre.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for collate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.