adjective (cleverer, cleverest, more)
- mentally sharp or bright, witty; possessing quick or able intelligence
- nimble with hands or body
- Though there were many men in England during the latter half of the seventeenth century, there were only two great creative minds.--Macaulay.
- Be good, sweet maid, and let who will be .--C. Kingsley.
- superficially skillful, resourceful
- showing inventiveness or originality
- (Australian Aboriginal) possessing magical abilities
- 1904, Journal & Proceedings of the Royal Society of New South Wales, Vol. XXXVIII
- :When a man is out hunting ... he ... talks to the footprints all the time for the purpose of injecting magic into the animal which made them.
- 1947, Oceania, Vol. XVII
- :The two women, who were "", and possessed a certain amount of magical "power", ...
- 1991, John & Sue Erbacher, Aborigines of the Rainforest
- :Fred is the fellow or tribal doctor who practises with the Kuku-Yalanji people. The tribal doctor"s work includes curing sickness, finding out the causes of death, predicting the future and making and stopping rain.
- German: schlau
- Italian: intelligente (1)
- Spanish: listo , lista
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for clever for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.