- (context, by analogy) A mistreated and impoverished girl.
- (attributive) Rising unexpectedly from obscurity to success, as a Cinderella team.
- (philately) A stamp or stamp-like label issued for purposes other than postal administration, not issued by a central government, or not listed in most general catalogues.
- Usage note: Not all authorities are uniform in what they consider to be Cinderellas.
- A popular fairy tale embodying a classic folk tale myth-element of unjust oppression and triumphant reward, of which there were hundreds of versions before modern times.
- The main character in this story, a mistreated and impoverished girl. At a royal ball she meets a handsome prince who later identifies her with a dropped article, most commonly a slipper, and removes her from her poverty.
- Dutch: Assepoester
- French: Cendrillon
- German: Aschenputtel
- Italian: Cenerentola
- Spanish: Cenicienta
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Cinderella for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.