- A joyful, somewhat muffled laugh, rather like a snorting chuckle.
- He frequently interrupted himself with chortles while he told us his favorite joke.
verb (chortl, ing)
- French: (t, fr, gloussement, m)
- (intransitive) To laugh with a chortle or chortles.
- The old fellow chortled as he recalled his youthful adventures.
Etymology: Coined by w:Lewis Carroll, Lewis Carroll in his poem w:Jabberwocky, Jabberwocky, perhaps as a portmanteau of (term, chuckle) and (term, snort).
- French: (t, fr, glousser)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chortle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.