Translations: verb (chok, ing)
- A control on a carburetor to adjust the air/fuel mixture when the engine is cold.
- (sports): In wrestling, karate (etc.), a type of hold that can result in strangulation.
- A constriction at the muzzle end of a shotgun barrel which effects the spread of the shot.
- (intransitive): To be unable to breathe because of obstruction of the windpipe.
- (transitive): To prevent someone from breathing by strangling them.
- (intransitive): To perform badly at a crucial stage of a competition because one is nervous, especially when one is winning.
- French: (t, fr, étouffer)
- Italian: strozzare(it)
- Spanish: estrangular(es)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for choke for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.