- A vertical tube or hollow column used to emit environmentally polluting gaseous and solid matter (including but not limited to by-products of burning carbon or hydro-carbon based fuels); a flue.
- 1883: w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island
- : Our was a square hole in the roof: it was but a little part of the smoke that found its way out, and the rest eddied about the house, and kept us coughing and piping the eye.
- The glass flue surrounding the flame of an oil lamp.
- The smokestack of a steam locomotive.
- A narrow cleft in a rock face.
Etymology: From (term, cheminee, lang=fro), from (term, caminus, lang=la), from (term, sc=Grek, , , furnace).
- Dutch: spleet(nl)f
- German: Spalte(de)f
- Spanish: tubo(es)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chimney for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.