- A being involved in the action of a story.
- A symbol used to represent a sound or a word.
- A distinguishing feature; characteristic; A complex of mental and ethical traits marking a person or a group.
- A moral strength.
- "You may not like to eat liver," said Calvin's father, "but it builds ."
- A person with many notable or eccentric features.
- (mathematics) A complex number representing an element of a finite Abelian group.
- (computing) One of the basic elements making up a text file or string: a code representing a printing character or a control character. Synonymous with byte in some environments.
Etymology: From Old (and modern) French caractère, from Latin Latin, character, from Greek "marking instrument", from "engrave".
- French: caractère
- German: Original
- Italian: carattere
- Dutch: karakter
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for character for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.