- (obsolete) a time; a turn or occasion
- (obsolete) a turn of work; a labour or item of business
- an odd-job, a chore or piece of housework
- a charlady, a woman employed to do housework; cleaning lady
Translations: verb (chars, charing, charred)
- "I had to scrub the kitchen today, because the couldn"t come"
- (obsolete) to turn, especially away or aside
- to work, especially to do housework
- 1893, She explained that she was the commissionaire's wife, who did the charing, and I gave her the order for the coffee. " Arthur Conan Doyle, "The Naval Treaty" (Norton 2005, p.677)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for char for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.