- (uncountable) A hard brittle material that is produced through burning of nonmetallic minerals at high temperatures
- Joan made the dish of .
- (countable) An object made of this material
- Joe had dozens of ceramics in his apartment.
- Dutch: keramiek
- German: Keramik
- French: céramique
- Italian: ceramica
- Spanish: ceramica
- made of material produced by the high temperature firing of inorganic, nonmetallic rocks and minerals.
- A ceramic vase stood on the table.
Etymology: Ceramic was borrowed from the French word, ceramique in the 19th century. This derives from the Greek word keram(os), which means potter's clay.
- Italian: ceramico
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ceramic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.