noun (cemeter, ies)
- A place where the dead are buried; a graveyard or memorial park.
Etymology: Middle English cimiterie < Old French cimitiere < Medieval Latin cimitÄrium < Late Latin coemÄtÄrium < Greek koimÄtÄrion < Greek koimÄn (to put to sleep).
- Dutch: kerkhof , begraafplaats
- French: cimetière
- German: Kirchhof , Friedhof
- Italian: cimitero , camposanto
- Spanish: cementerio , campo santo , panteón (italbrac, Andes, Caribbean, Central America, Mexico)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cemetery for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.