noun (es, -)
- (countable) The act of catching an object in motion in the air.
Translations: verb (catches, catching, caught)
- The player made an impressive by leaping into the air.
- Nice !
- (countable) The act of noticing, understanding or hearing.
- Good . I would never have remembered that.
- (uncountable) The game of catching a ball.
- The kids love to play .
- (countable) A find, in particular a boyfriend/girlfriend.
- Did you see his latest ?
- (context, countable, uncountable) That which is captured or the amount which is captured, especially of fish.
- The boaters took a picture of their biggest .
- (countable) A clasp which stops something from opening.
- She installed a sturdy to keep her cabinets closed tight.
- A emotion-caused pause in voice
- There was a in his voice when he spoke his father's name.
- (countable) A problem, a snag, especially in a deal or negotiation; a hitch
- It sounds like a great idea, but what's the ?
- (transitive) To capture, especially in the hands.
- I will throw you the ball, and you it.
- I hope I a fish.
- (transitive) To understand.
- ''Did you his name?
- (transitive) To notice.
- Did you the way she looked at him?
- (transitive) To detect; sense.
- He was caught on video robbing the bank.
- (transitive) To seize an opportunity
- I have some free time tonight so I think I'll a movie.
- (transitive) To take a form of transportation that only leaves at certain times.
- I would love to have dinner but I have to a plane.
- The surfer let the smaller wave pass so he could the bigger one.
- (intransitive) To engage, stick, or grasp.
- Push it in until it catches.
- (intransitive) To hesitate, as if momentarily stuck.
- His voice caught when he came to his father's name.
- (transitive) To make contact with.
- The punch caught him in the shoulder.
- (computing) To handle an error, especially an exception.
- French: (t, fr, attraper)
- German: bekommen, coll: erwischen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for catch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.