- (context, firearms) The package consisting of the bullet, primer, and casing containing gunpowder; a round of ammunition.
- (A general sense that arose by extension from the sense of firearm cartridge) A prefabricated subassembly that can be easily installed in or removed from a larger mechanism or replaced with another interchangeable subassembly.
- (computing) A vessel which contains the ink or toner for a computer printer and can be easily replaced with another.
- (computing) Magnetic tape storage, used for storing (backup) copies of data.
- (obsolete) A small paper package, e.g. in an old book about making printer's type: After all the type has been cast: "The Boy will paper up each sort in a by itself".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for cartridge for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.