noun (uncountable and countable)
- A fabric used as a floor covering; a rug.
- (figurative) Any surface resembling a carpet.
- (vulgar) A woman's pubic hair.
- Dutch: tapijt , vloerkleed
- French: tapis
- German: Teppich
- Italian: tappeto
- Spanish: alfombra , moqueta
- To lay carpet, or to have carpet installed, in an area.
- After the fire, they carpeted over the blackened hardwood flooring.
- The builders were carpeting in the living room when Zadie inspected her new house.
- (transitive) To substantially cover something; to blanket something.
- Popcorn and candy wrappers carpeted the floor of the cinema.
Etymology: From carpite, from carpita, past participle of carpere, "to pluck".
- German: bedecken
- Italian: coprire
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for carpet for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.