- (archaic) A deep-red or fiery colored garnet or other dark red precious stone, especially when cut cabochon.
- 1602. s:Hamlet, Hamlet by w:William Shakespeare, William Shakespeare, act 2 scene 2 line 401:
- : With eyes like carbuncles, the hellish Pyrrhus...
- 1611. Old Testament, King James Version, Isaiah 54:12:
- :And I will make thy windows of agates, and thy gates of carbuncles, and all thy borders of pleasant stones.
- An abscess larger than a boil, usually with one or more openings draining pus onto the skin. It is usually caused by bacterial infection.
- Spanish: acumulación de foríºnculos
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for carbuncle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.