- An army officer with a rank between the most senior grade of lieutenant and major.
- A naval officer with a rank between commander and commodore.
- (nautical) The person lawfully in command of a sea-going vessel.
- The captain is the last man to leave a sinking ship.
- The person lawfully in command of an airliner.
- This is your captain speaking. Please fasten your safety belts.
- One of the athletes on a sports team who designated to make decisions, and is allowed to speak for his team with a referee or official.
- The leader of a group of workers.
- John Henry said to the captain,"A man ain't nothing but a man."
- Synonyms: supervisor, straw boss, foreman
- (American South) An honorific title given to a prominent person. See colonel.
- French: capitaine
- Italian: capitano
- German: Mannschaftskapití¤n
Translations: Etymology: From French capitaine then to Arabic "ÙÙ"
- (intransitive) To act as captain
- (transitive) To exercise command of a ship, aircraft or sports team.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for captain for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.