Translations: verb (buffer)
- Someone or something that buffs.
- (chemistry) A solution used to stabilize the pH (acidity) of a liquid.
- (computing) A portion of memory set aside to store data, often before it is sent to an external device or as it is received from an external device.
- (mechanical) Anything used to maintain slack or isolate different objects.
- (telecommunications) A routine or storage medium used to compensate for a difference in rate of flow of data, or time of occurrence of events, when transferring data from one device to another.
- An isolating circuit, often an amplifier, used to minimize the influence of a driven circuit on the driving circuit.
- In international relations, a buffer zone (such as a demilitarized zone) or a buffer state.
Etymology: (-er, buff)
- To use a buffer or buffers; to isolate or minimize the effects of one thing on another.
- (computing) To store data in memory temporarily.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for buffer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.