- a blemish, spot or stain made by a coloured substance
- (context, by extension) a stain on someone's reputation or character; a disgrace
- (biochemistry) the Southern blot analysis (and derived Northern and Western) analytical techniques
- (games) an exposed piece in backgammon
verb to blot (transitive or intransitive)
- French: tache (1), (ink) pí¢té (1), souillure (2)
- German: Fleck (1), Schandfleck (2)
- to cause a blot (on something) by spilling a coloured substance
- to soak up, or absorb liquid
- to hide, obscure or obliterate something
Etymology: Originally "blemish," perhaps from Old Norse blettr, or from Old French bloche "clod of earth."
- French: tacher (1), entacher (une réputation) (2)
- German: beflecken (1), kleckern (1), ablí¶schen (3)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for blot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.