noun (batter, ies)
- A device that produces electricity by a chemical reaction between two substances.
- The crime or tort of intentionally striking another person.
- A coordinated group of artillery.
- An array of similar things.
- Schoolchildren take a battery of standard tests to measure their progress.
- A set of small cages where hens are kept for the purpose of farm, farming their eggs.
- (baseball) The catcher and the pitcher together
- (chess) Two or more pieces on the same rank, file, or diagonal
Etymology: From (term, batterie), from (term, baterie, lang=fro), from (term, bauttere, , beat, lang=la).
- Dutch: legbatterij
- French: batterie
- German: Legebatterie
- Italian: pila
- Spanish: pila
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for battery for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.