noun (Plural: barbarisms)
- A barbaric act.
- These barbarisms can not be allowed to continue, they must be crushed or civilization will collapse.
- The condition of existing barbarically.
- 1879, William Tecumseh Sherman, Address to the Michigan Military Academy
- :War is at best barbarism...It's glory is all moonshine.
- An error in language use within a single word, such as a mispronunciation.
- 2002, Hyman, Bad Grammar in Context, New England Classical Journal, 29, p. 94-101
- : In the jargon of the ancient grammarian, penacilin would be a .
- German: Barbarei
(trans-top, error in language use)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for barbarism for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.