- An uncivilized or uncultured person, often associated with fighting or other such shows of strength.
- A warrior, clad in fur or leather, associated with Sword and Sorcery stories.
- A derogatory term for someone from a developing country.
- A non-Roman (see above).
- Dutch: barbaar
- German: Barbar , Barbarin
- Relating to people, country, countries, or customs perceived as uncivilized or inferior.
Etymology: From Latin barbarus (foreigner, savage), from Greek (polytonic, ) "foreigner", onomatopoetic (mimicking foreign languages, akin to 'blah blah'. Cognate with Icelandic barbari.
- Dutch: barbaars, barbaarse
- German: barbarisch
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for barbarian for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.