verb (bankrupts, bankrupting, bankrupted, bankrupted)
- (transitive) To cause to become bankrupt; to make bankrupt.
- German: in
- German, in den Konkurs treiben
- That is formally declared unable to pay its creditors.
Etymology: From banca rotta, which refers to an out-of-business bank, having its bench physically broken. Money lenders in Northern Italy originally did business in open areas, or big open rooms, with each lender working from his own bench or table.
- Dutch: bankroet, in faling, failliet
- French: faillite, en faillite
- German: bankrott
- Italian: fallito
- Spanish: quebrado, arruinado
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bankrupt for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.