- (tincture) A blue colour on a coat of arms, represented in engraving by horizontal parallel lines.
- 1997, Brault, Early Blazon:
- : In Bb Glover's Roll, the conventional letter B is used to indicate in most items.
- The clear blue colour of the sky; also, a pigment or dye of this colour.
- <table><tr><td>azure colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- 007FFF" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- (italbrac, poetical) The unclouded sky; the blue vault above.
- The lapis lazuli.
verb (azur, ing)
- Dutch: lapis lazuli
- German: Himmelblau
- (transitive) To colour blue.
- (colour) Sky-blue; resembling the clear blue colour of the unclouded sky; cerulean; also, cloudless.
- (tincture) In blazon, of the colour blue.
Etymology: From Arabic (term, , lazward, lapis lazuli), via (term, azur). Compare with Italian (term, azzurro) and Spanish (term, azul).
- Dutch: azuur (blauw)
- French: azur
- German: blau
- Italian: azzurro
- Spanish: azur
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for azure for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.